28 industry representatives joined the Autumn meeting at Coopers Brewery on 23rd March 2021. SABAC very much appreciates the hospitality and support of Coopers to host this meeting, and the vital ongoing support of GPSA.
There were 14 presentations, with some key points as follows:
- 2020 Spring conditions favourable for foliar disease development. Growing conditions were very good for most of the season apart from a dry July. Yields ranged from 3t/ha to 7t/ha.
- T-Ports presented on their relatively new operation in xxx, noting that the 2020 season provided a positive outcome for growers using T-Ports. Bespoke transhipment vessels can be built to handle any commodity required.
- AEGIC updated on current activities and advised they will continue online malting and feed barley webinars in 2021. https://www.aegic.org.au/events/
- Barley Australia provided an update on current activities and industry messaging, and MBIBTC provided an update on newly accredited varieties and varieties progressing through the program in 2021.
- Boortmalt provided an update centring around the Company’s sustainability goals, with core objectives being sustainable farming, water conservation, emissions reduction and health and safety.
- GPSA is working with Grains Australia Limited regarding opportunities for sustainability certification of SA grain and looking to activate projects from the SA Grains Industry Blueprint.
- 2020 agronomy summary noted very good April rain and seeding conditions followed by dry June and July. Rhizoctonia active in stressed environments, Russian Wheat Aphid active due to green bridge. Good spray topping timing in many feed barley paddocks.
- Grains Australia Limited inaugural CEO Jonathan Wilson provided an update on progress with this new industry good company which aims to bring together all the different grain industry bodies and streamline the delivery of important services and functions on behalf of the grains supply chain.
Key Industry Dates
SABAC Spring meeting – Monday 13th September 9:30am -1pm ACST
Yorke Peninsula Field Days – 28th, 29th ,30th September 2021 https://www.ypfielddays.com.au/
Riverland Field Days – Cancelled 17th – 18th September 2021 https://www.riverlandfielddays.com.au/